Monday, December 10, 2012

Greetings from the Abyss by Jack (Part 8)


Jack is serving life without parole, and has terminal cancer. Throughout my incarceration, Jack was a positive influence. He encouraged me to keep writing, to enter short-story competitions, and we proofread each other’s chapters. Jack is seeking pen pals, so anyone interested please email me at attwood.shaun@hotmail.co.ukfor his details. 

I hope this letter finds you well, and not too overworked. I was so sorry to read about your niece Yasmin. Children should never have to suffer with any form of cancer. It’s traumatic enough for an adult to have to deal with, but a child shouldn’t have to go through it. I know that a lot of time, research, and money goes into trying to find a cure for childhood cancer, but in my opinion, it’s not enough. We spend so much effort trying to find new and more efficient ways to destroy each other that we neglect those things that are more important. Can you imagine the benefits that could be realized if the defense budget of the US was channelled into medical research for just one year? What a terrible waste of resources. Don’t get me wrong, I understand better than most the need for a strong military in today’s volatile environment. I just believe we unnecessarily squander large portions of the defense budget on items and projects that don’t work, and are only wanted by the very few who will realize a profit if they are funded.

I must say that I was surprised by how long your last letter was. I can’t remember ever receiving one that ran four pages front to back. I know you said not to expect another one of that length, but next time you feel yourself trapped on the train with nothing to do feel free to unburden yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed the brief glimpse into your thoughts. The opportunity to exchange ideas and thoughts with someone of your calibre is not something I take lightly.

Thank you very much for the secure pac [food package]. It was very generous and a pleasant surprise. I didn’t fill out the order form because I would never make that kind of presumption. Besides, part of the fun of a present is the surprise. Filling out the order form would negate that surprise.

Historical fiction is nothing more than a novel written around historical facts. I like them for no other reason than one is able to place the story into a concrete time and place, and assume that the characters could have interacted in such a manner as to have influenced or been a part of the actual incident.  

Always,

No comments:

Post a Comment