Thursday, July 21, 2011

Helter Swelter





It is hot in the Quaker City today....indeed all over the nation we are getting a simulated Equatorial ass whooping. As Eugene says in "Biloxi Blues"..."like Africa hot..."
I walked across the street to the bank for the morning deposit and the heat pressed up from the sidewalk like a blow torch. Yesterday walking fromn the garage to the office I sweated thru another suit. It really sucks. In an effort to change my perspective I fondly perused pictures from our Family trip last year to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. One of the things we really enjoy as a Family is skiing. I guess I spoiled my kids on the the Slopes of Utah when I took them to the 2002 Winter Olympics. They scoff the icy hard slopes of Vermont and New York where I skiied my entire youth. I cannot really blame them because Utah or Colorado just eclipses the East Coast for downhill pursuits.
It cools me off just to look at these pictures and remember the cold and biting dry Rocky Mountain air and the great Winter atmosphere of Steamboat. So when I am melting on the way back to get my car this evening, I can mentally travel back to a time when I needed Gortex and hollofil to be comfortable. Like my Grandfather used to say: "When it's cold you can always put something else on...but when it's too hot ...once your bare ass there is nowhere to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment