Sunday, September 16, 2012

Greetings from the Abyss by Jack (Part 5)


Jack is serving life without parole. Throughout my incarceration, Jack was a constant positive influence. He encouraged me to keep writing, to enter short-story competitions, and we proofread each other’s work. 

Hello my friend, it’s been too long since I wrote. In my defense, I’ve been in and out of the hospital for the last two years. I became extremely sick and collapsed on the road outside of my housing unit. I had to be flown to the hospital. It was touch and go for a few days. I was in ICU for a week and then another week in recovery. I had 23 blood transfusions before I stabilized. Turns out that I have advance stage cancer, small lymphocytic lymphoma, stage IVb. Basically, that means I’m near the end, at least that’s what the oncologist says. I think I’ll fool him and live a while longer. 

Congratulations on Hard Time. I enjoyed it, and am quite pleased it is doing so well. I look forward to your next book, and the next and the next… I always knew that you would do well. Your acknowledgement in Hard Time was very generous and appreciated. I haven’t written anything for a while now. I collected a fair amount of rejection letters before throwing in the towel. The logistics of writing in here has become onerous. I have few, if any, real possibilities of having my poor writing transcribed into anything legible. I realize this is just another excuse, but it has become easy to accept, and I have done so. 

Shaun, thank you for everything you have done for me, and those of us who are still incarcerated. You have gone above and beyond to bring a ray of hope and normalcy to our lives. Take care of yourself and continued success in whatever you undertake.

Best wishes always,

Jack 


Shaun Attwood

No comments:

Post a Comment