Friday, May 3, 2013

Question 9: Locked-Up Abroad Raving Arizona

For the next 2 days, I'm going to post a question about the episode and my answer.

What advice would you offer someone who is enamoured with the glamour and money of drugs and a drug-dealing lifestyle?

I can understand why you are enamoured, but for many people it ends with the police, prison or death. Every time you do drugs, the pleasure slowly decreases, the pain increases, and the addiction gets a stronger hold of you. The addiction is extremely demanding. Over time, it can devastate your life and the lives of your loved ones. You may make fast cash in the short run, but in the long run, dealing will ruin you financially when you get busted and the police confiscate your assets. Your addiction might take your health, and in some cases – as happened to several of my friends – you will die young. For example, my friend, Joey, in Raving Arizona was found dead in his swimming pool with all of his clothes on. 
In jail, I was surrounded by people who’d gone much further down the road of drug use than me. Most of them were injecting drugs and had hepatitis C, which is hard to treat and can kill you by slowly destroying your liver. All of the fun, glitz and glamour were gone, but they still couldn’t stop taking drugs. They were committing slow suicide. They had yellow-jaundiced skin and eyes, and their teeth were rotting out. Seeing their condition put me off doing drugs for life, and made me ashamed that I had dealt drugs. You have the opportunity to avoid a road that ends in so much misery. Life is meant at times to be tough and challenging. It takes a strong mind to remain sober and refrain from the lure of drugs. There are better ways to put meaning into your life. Take a look at all of your interests, and try to channel you energy into positive ones. Physical activity in particular will put you on a natural high
Shaun Attwood

No comments:

Post a Comment