Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sport of Kings Southern Style

 One of best friends is turning 50. We have known each other since age 3 when we met in Nursery School at an Episcopal Church in Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania. Father of friend is a great man and has scheduled a guys trip to Florida to celebrate this half century milestone. This trip comes at an inconvenient time due to work and the start of lacrosse season. It ain't cheap either.

I like traveling and trips of this sort. However, if you are  getting me to leave wife and kids for a weekend and spend the dough...have a plan. I am not talking an anal retentive minute by minute psycho bride itinerary...just a loose set of ideas about what to do with the guys. I can sit by a pool for a while and read...have some rum...but then I want action. I said: "What about 1/2 day deep sea fishing? "  Crickets...
"How about Wave Runners on the Bay?" Nothing...
So, I informed the titular trip leader that if you want to find me Saturday afternoon...I will be sipping a Rum & Tonic and studying the Racing Form at Gulfstream. There are 2 fine stakes races on Saturday at Gulfstream.Hopefully, the guys will join me.

This is one beautiful racetrack; up there with Saratoga and Monmouth and Churchill Downs. Gulfstream is about 25 minutes form our beach front hotel. After a nice session in the Hotel gym, quick swim,steam, sauna and shave, hail me a cab to the Track. I will alternate between the Paddock to check out the potential horses for my wager, an air conditioned seat in the Clubhouse and a spot on the Rail. See you sunburned chumps at dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment