Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mistakes (by Shane)


Shane - Denied psychiatric medication by ValueOptions, Shane turned to illegal drugs financed by burglaries. For stealing a few hundred dollars worth of goods, he was sentenced to eleven years. Shane is the author of the blog Persevering Prison Pages. 
 
At the table closest to the back wall, I sat down with my toasted-oats cereal in warm milk. Silent and barely aware of the three other prisoners at the table, I finished my meagre brunch.
“Hey, bro, grab those IBU’s for me,” one of my tablemates asked, as I headed to the window to dispose of my tray. As I deposited my tray, a prisoner handed me a small package of pills wrapped in plastic.
The second I grabbed it, a guard called out, “Hey, you! Come here with that!”
Instinctively, I ignored him and weaved in and out of the crowd of people, trying to get to my table. Sensing the guard close behind, I tried to pass off the package, but the recipient moved away, avoiding me.
“Against the wall!” the guard yelled.
Busted, I set the package on the counter.
The guard opened it, and inspected the 21 white pills. “What are these?”
“Ibuprofen.”
“You’re on report for possession of drugs.”
The pills were actually Gabapentins. I was screwed.

I pled guilty and waived a disciplinary hearing, asking for leniency. I lost 70 days of good time, and received 30 days of no TV, phone calls, visits or commissary.

I should have known better. Luckily, the Deputy Warden allowed my special visits the next week. The love of my life travelled over 6000 miles and endured 100 degrees F + temperature and the wild-west atmosphere of Arizona to visit me behind glass for a total of six hours in two days.
My beautiful Irish woman was upset with my actions, but stood by me. Fearing losing her, I was at a loss for words when I saw in her eyes that she wasn’t going anywhere.


Shaun Attwood    

No comments:

Post a Comment