Monday, October 18, 2010

Some Fine Points of the Game





We have been watching a lot of baseball around my place these past 2 weeks...for obvious reasons. Last night my son and I watched the Phillies even up the Pennant Series( I still think Pennant sounds better than NLCS) 1 game to 1.


Having watched the Phillies since I was old enough to remember,and having listened to countless innings on the radio, I take it for granted that everyone understands all the nuances of the play by play and the lingo the announcers use during broadcasts. Last night Roy Oswalt threw a little "chin music" at a batter. I found myself explaining the definition and strategy of a "brush-back pitch" to my son. We also had a discussion about why it is an insult to a player when a team yields an intentional walk to get that player to the plate rather than pitch to the batter before him in the order.....and in turn why it was so satisfying for Jimmy Rollins to crush that bases clearing double after just such a scenario. Game 3 tomorrow at 4 p.m. EST...stay tuned and GO PHILLIES

No comments:

Post a Comment